BOOKS & PODCASTS
We have compiled a list of books and podcasts to complement your online courses. The books include all the works referred to in the Wisdom Within course, as well as a short list of other works which are highly recommended. We’ve also included a short list of podcasts which may be of interest.
The list is curated by Ian MacLean. We’d like to build on our list of recommended podcasts, so if you know of any philosophical podcasts that are open-minded, inquiring and non-ideological, please send your suggestions by email to the Curator. We can’t promise we’ll include every recommendation we receive, but please help us build a library for everyone.
THE AWARENESS EXERCISE
The Awareness Exercise was introduced in the School more than sixty years ago. Its great strength is its simplicity. With faithful practice, it can steady the mind, open the heart, and bring the whole being into the present moment. The recordings below are to help you establish the practice in your daily life. The aim is to make the practice your own. When this happens, you will not need a recording to guide the practice because you will be able to guide yourself. Download handout here
THE AWARENESS EXERCISE - VERSION 1:
THE AWARENESS EXERCISE - VERSION 2:
LECTURE SERIES - SHANE MULHALL
Shane Mulhall (1950-2016) was the leader of the School of Practical Philosophy in Ireland for 35 years. The School in Ireland recently announced that his popular talks, given over many years, have become available to download free of charge to anyone worldwide.
PHILOSOPHY & A BLISSFUL LIFE
How often are you full of bliss?
This talk examines our true nature:
- is misery real at all?
- the difference between pleasure, happiness and bliss
- the various ways we create misery for ourselves
- 8 key ways we may grow in bliss.
PHILOSOPHY & AMBITION
How to achieve what you really want
This talk examines the mistake of every generation in achieving what it wants
- the aim of human life
- the three factors necessary to fulfill our ambitions
- how the decisions we make determine our life
- the different levels of consciousness and thus different capacities we enjoy
- examining our life
- how to achieve what we really want.
PHILOSOPHY & AWARENESS
How aware are we really?
This talk examines the difference between awareness and attention.
- What is awareness?
- The price we pay for not being aware
- 6 practices to assist with increasing awareness
- Living in awareness
PHILOSOPHY & STRESS
This creation causes no stress.
This creation causes no stress. This talk examines the real nature of this creation and our false experience of it
- why we do not experience people and events as they really are
- the false uses of mind and heart which causes us stress
- practical ways to live stress free.
PHILOSOPHY & LOVE
How one can love everyone.
This talk examines the creation as an enactment of love.
- how we see ourselves
- the 3 characteristics of true love
- 8 false ideas about love that mislead us
- 5 impediments to true love
- loving yourself
- directing love to substance not form
- how to love everyone.